Due March 2013: DB2 11 for z/OS from IBM and Triton
It’s just been announced by IBM that DB2 11 for z/OS, codenamed Sequoia will be launched on March 8th 2013, when a select group of clients will have the new technology available in a closed Early Support Programme.
The key message coming though from IBM is Save Money, Save Time, Reduce Cost. The main advantages of the new version are:
- Increased CPU savings and improved performance: Version 11 offers up to 5% CPU savings on OLTP, heavy INSERT and SAP workloads, compared to DB2 10. There are as much as 20 to 30% CPU savings on select query workloads, plus faster decompressing of data. Additional RUNSTATS and LOAD workloads can now use zIIP engines, enabling faster LOAD processing, improved performance and CPU savings.
- Cost-effective historical data access: DB2 temporal technology and integration with IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator for z/OS enables speedier recall of past data, at a lower cost.
- Further improvements in resilience, availability, scalability and security: Building on the already excellent reputation of DB2 10, DB2 11 offers even stronger features in the areas of online schema capabilities like DROP COLUMN support, and reduces the need for downtime with new online data repartitioning. The number of REORGs can be reduced; you achieve faster performance when a REORG is required, plus faster recovery is easy with improved backup manageability. DB2 10’s respected level of data sharing is further enhanced with DB2 11.
- Advances in data analytics’ availability: DB2 11 aids in the management of data and its dissemination to the business, by working with SPSS to deliver real-time scoring of transactions. QMF 11 provides enhanced analysis, forecasting, reporting and result presentation, plus OLTPs and data warehousing can be ran as one integrated workload in real-time.
- Operational Efficiencies and Cost Savings: DBAs and programmers will benefit from DB2 11’s productivity enhancements, saving time and money in the IT department.
Triton Consulting are the experts on DB2 for z/OS version migration: the process to upgrade to version 11 will be simplified further by allowing an application with incompatible SQL or XML to continue to run to DB2 11 without requiring code changes. It is recommended that users upgrade to DB2 10 without delay – see Triton’s migration webpage for details.
As IBM Premier Business Partners, Triton Consulting eats and sleeps DB2, and can be contacted on 0870 2411 550 for more information on the forthcoming DB2 11 for z/OS.« Previous | Next »